Saturday, February 23, 2008

What I Did for a Living

Before I was elected 1st Lieutenant of the Connecticut's Militia, I had a job elsewhere. When I graduated Yale, I took a job teaching in rural East Haddam. I soon got bored and lonely, missing my fellow college mates. I was very happy when I was offered a job in the prestigious Union School in the a bustling seaport town on the coast of Connecticut. Connecticut was much better. My classes consisted of around 30 young men that were thought Latin, Mathematics, and all the basic standards. In 1774, I also conducted a summer morning class for women, from 5 am to 7am. People thought that the ladies were willing to attend such an early class, they were more interested in the schoolmaster than the actual subject.
Most people teach as a temporary job. As for me, my love of teaching influenced the students. Both students and parents appreciated, soon I was offered a job as a Master at the Union School. After some time, I finally decided to accept the offer. When my militia had to help out in the battle of Bunker Hill. I had to stay behind; my teaching contract didn't end until June and I was devoted to my students. In July, after receiving a letter from my friend who was in the army, I had to quit my job as a teacher and aid my county.

1 comment:

Ms. Sackstein said...

Excellent amount of information and very well put together. Both thoughtful and well written.